Hiking is a great way to connect with nature and help boost your overall health. Taking a hike through nature is an excellent way to reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety and will also help improve your physical health by strengthening your muscles.
Contrary to some beliefs hiking is not all climbing mountains and hills. There are many hiking trails that range in difficulty making certain trails perfect for beginners.
Here are some essentials you should bring when going hiking:
- Hiking boots– You will need to select a pair of boots that works best with the kinds of trails you will be hiking. For most beginner trails mid- to high-cut models are great for the average hike. The height offers ankle support which is great for hikers of all experience.
- Sunscreen: When spending time in nature it is important to take the necessary precautions to ensure your safety. Wearing sunscreen helps to protect your skin and acts a barrier between your skin and the sun.
- Food & Water: There are many different carrying water bottles and bags for hiking. A hydration pack can be placed in your bookbag which will make it easy for you to carry and allow for a hands-free hike. Pack some easy snacks to much on like trail mix or granola bars.
- First aid kit– With any physical activity, it is important to protect yourself from injury and be prepared in case a situation arises. Be sure to pack your kit thoroughly. Antiseptic ointment, bandages, and compression wrap are essentials that you should have. Compression wrap is also great to wrap your ankles with while hiking. The compression wrap offers support for your ankles which will give you a sturdier stance.
- Cellphone: Although we are trying to disconnect from technology, you should bring your phone along just in case you get lost. This is especially necessary if you plan on hiking alone. If you are hiking alone be sure to tell someone you trust where you will be and if possible, share your GPS location with them. This will ensure that if something does happen, someone else is aware of your whereabouts and can help you.
When planning a hiking trip in Maine be sure to check Mount Agamenticus Conservation. With over 10,000 acres of coastal forest, this stretch of land is an ideal location for both experienced and novice hikers.
Just a quick 15 minute drive from the Sands by the Sea Motel , you can rest after a long day of adventure! With beautiful stretches of coastline and comfortable amenities for all stay types, the Sands by the Sea Motel is the perfect location to begin your journey through Maine. Check rates & accommodations here!